Post image for USS Los Angeles (SSN 688) Sail Project

USS Los Angeles (SSN 688) Sail Project

by land_admin on March 26, 2012

Donations are needed to weld the Sail of the 688 boat back together and to prepare the ground to present the Sail as a memorial to all who served in the US Navy’s  submarine service.  The location TBD will be near the LA Maritime Museum, the USS Iowa and hopefully the bow of the USS Los Angeles (CA 135).

USS LOS ANGELES (SSN 688) – arriving Port of Los Angeles DEC 7, 2007.

This was the submarine’s first port visit to her name sake city, Los Angeles.

This picture of the 688’s Sail was taken on her 2nd port visit to Los Angeles during the actual Decommissioning Ceremony January 23, 2010

The Sail of the 688 Boat has returned to Los Angeles in 2012 but it is in (3) three pieces and needs funding to put it back together again.

Here are the 43,000 LBS of fair water planes from the 688 Boat.

USS LAPON (SSN 661) SAIL – LOCATION:  SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI.

For donations over $100.00 Memorial/Donor named Bricks encircle the Sail.

SEND A CHECK TODAY:

NAVY DAYS – LA

2210 3RD STREET,  STE 119

SANTA MONICA, CA 90405

MEMO:  FOR 688 BOAT’S SAIL.

Thanking you in advance for your contribution!

Navy Days – LA is part of the Navy League of the United States and is a 501 (C) 3 tax exempt organization promoting the public’s education of our Sea Services.  Navy Days – LA IRS EIN number is:  55-0882597 and the State of California Franchise Organization no. is: 9593343.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

D L Griffin October 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I was on Los Angeles 1977-1981 and will send my donation to see the sail restored and sitting at the Maritime Museum soon. BTW, the boat first visited Los Angeles in 1978 when we brought her around from Norfolk on the way to Pearl Harbor. The Los Angeles area really made us feel welcome and we had a great time.

land_admin October 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thank you for visiting and offering to donate, Mr. Griffin!

D P Green October 30, 2012 at 2:16 am

I served on the Bremerton (698) a decade ago and when the LA was in port we all had a great appreciation of how well she was run by the dedicated crew onboard. Shame they had to cut her along the midsection like that. Curious to know if it’s just a matter of paying to cover the scrap / shipping and if there is a deadline.

Terry Cole January 30, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Darryl…was it still ’78 when we took her through ‘The Ditch’? I remember taking LA Mayor Bradley onboard. We had comms with a radio station in LA when things went wrong in Control, so Captain Beedle, XO Bob LaBrecque (sp?) and Mayor Bradley moved to Radio while I repaired the remote in Control using a ‘rig for red’ flashlight. I just can’t remember the month.

D L Griffin February 19, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Terry, I believe it was May 78

Greg Gingrich April 5, 2013 at 2:33 pm

The “first” recent visit in Dec was in 2006, not 2007. It was my last underway onboard for Eastpac. I detached when we arrived in LA and flew back to Hawaii for a week before arriving at Prototype in Jan, 2007.

J. Ross Bullock April 5, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I was aboard for both port visits and am very pleased to know that the sail will become a memorial to all who served. I’ll contribute what I can soon.

land_admin April 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

Thank you!

james sorena July 30, 2013 at 10:01 pm

:) this is cool

Jody Durham MM2/SS ('85-'88) January 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I served aboard the LA from ’85-’88, and received my dolphins top-side along the pier at Long Beach from CDR D.I. Stanley, Aug. 14, ’86. On our way back to Pearl from that trip, we delivered 52 new plaques (donated by the LA chapter of Submarine Veterans of WWII) for the “Still on Patrol” memorial in Pearl. We transported them in the torpedo room, and I was really moved by that. I’ve recently gotten into contact with several shipmates via Facebook, and have joined some submariner groups, and have shared this link. Please advise ASAP whether this is still an on-going project and what the fund-raising goal and current level is. I’d love to help and encourage others to do so also.

land_admin January 9, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Jody, thanks for your note!

Yes the USS Los Angeles Memorial is moving forward. The Port of Los Angeles has the 688’s Sail stored in three parts in their warehouse and the new members of the Harbor Commission will hopefully soon vote on its memorial location. About 10 years ago the Navy had put forth an estimate of around $75,000 to transport, pour a cement base and re-weld a submarine’s Sail back together. We also have an estimate for two large brass plaques of $10,000. Since the LA was the lead boat of 61 other Los Angeles class submarines, we are leaning towards dedicating this memorial to all Sailors and their families who served (are serving) on a Los Angeles class submarine.

We’ve raised some of these funds but it’s safe to say that we have a lot more left to go.

Los Angeles Harbor is the present home of the USS Los Angeles (CA 135) Cruiser’s bow and mast, the Los Angeles Maritime Museum, the SS Lane Victory (Liberty ship), the USS Iowa museum ship and the Merchant Marine’s Memorial wall and fountain. On January 20th 2010, USS Los Angeles sailed from San Diego to Los Angeles for a public decommissioning ceremony at berth LA-46. Onboard were 24 guests (DVs), and check this out: the last guest to be atop the LA’s Sail underway before we submerged was Eric Garcetti, now the Mayor of Los Angeles. We are hoping all Sailors who served upon the 688 boat, once the memorial is constructed, will attend a large reunion and watch as LA’s Mayor dedicates this USSLA memorial.

Jody Durham MM2/SS ('85-'88) January 10, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thank you for the informative reply. I will share this with my shipmates and other submariner groups I’m associated with. I will be sending a check as well, and hope that by my sharing this information you’ll see a spike in contributions that will help reach the stated goal. She was a fine boat, and I’m proud to have served aboard “The First and Finest” of the 688 class attack submarines.

land_admin January 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Thank you very much, sir!